CCD Videos

Taco versus Grilled Cheese

Sunday, June 03, 2007


Modest Mouse - "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank" (Epic, 2007) [key tracks: Dashboard, Missed the Boat]
.
"Oh, and we carried it all so well...As if we got a new position. Oh, and I laugh all the way to hell... Saying yes, this is a fine promotion."
.
Its the post of underwhelming revelations. David Hyde Pierce is gay. Really?! Charles Nelson Riley is no longer alive. Really?! The 2007 MTV Movie Awards was infantile and boring. Really?! Sylvester Stallone uses 'roids. Really?!
.
Carl's Favorite Songs - #39 - Televators by The Mars Volta
.
The new Modest Mouse album wasn't as great as I had hoped. Really?! It isn't bad; in fact, it is quite good. It is well planned and executed, and the songs are as fun and smart alek/philosophical as always. In many ways, its my favorite LP this year. But it isn't what I had hoped. The last album was the first time I ever heard a single and drove straight-away to a store to buy an album. I saw the "Float On" video and within 15 minutes I was at Target. I soon filled my iPod with anything Mouse I could get a hold of. I love it all. So when I heard "Dashboard" (iTunes had a great pre-release single deal), and learned that Johnny Marr (guitarist for the almighty Smiths) was now in the band, I expected Gospel. So I was let down. Really?! Some great moments exist on the album however; Isaac's presence is as bombastic as ever, and Marr's guitar work proves that the Smiths were great because of the synergy between him and Moz. (Morrissey will be in Omaha this summer too, by the way...maybe he was already here... regardless, solo he is a shell of his former greatness). If you want to hear intelligent, adult "alternative" music, buy this LP. If you want a few snazzy singles to jazz up your iPod Mini and trick young girls into thinking you are hip, buy the new Linkin Park (ugh) or anything off of American Idol (urp).
.
Horn's Up!
.

No comments: