CCD Videos

Taco versus Grilled Cheese

Monday, May 28, 2007


Yes - "Fragile" (Atlantic Records, 1971) [key tracks: Roundabout, Long Distance Runaround]
.
B-b-b-b-back. Seems like it has been a long time since I posted, and it has. So I need to do a little house cleaning. First of all, Joan Jett is still hot and still rocks. Second, Carlin you are alive! I haven't heard from you for like a year. Gimmie a email or call or something. Third, I found a new record store in Omaha (Zero Street) that has yielded gems on both visits so far, Drastic Plastic bought out some dude's Iron Maiden collection which I am slowly assimilating into mine, and not to be outdone I found 2 incredible finds at Kanesville the following week. Way to step it up local record stores! Lastly, my plan to burn Early Man into the minds of as many people as possible is officially successful. They owe me a nod on their next LP's linear notes. Psychological warfare for the sake of metal. Heh. On with the show...
.
Carl's Favorite Songs - #41 - Land of Confusion by Genesis
.
I won't lie. I got into "Fragile" only recently, and for two reasons: one, Monster Magnet's epic stoner song "Nod Scene" mentions it with high regard, and two, because my friend/boss Dan tells me often about how they commissioned someone to paint Roger Dean's sweet LP artwork on their dorm wall back when he was at University of Iowa. Yes is at once the pinnacle and nadir of progressive rock. When they were fresh, nothing is as sweeping and as energetic as their keyboards, jazz bass, hard rock drums, and spacey guitars. When they were stale, they were a self mockery that exposed what is wrong with prog rock. "Fragile" stands out as one of the "classics" of both Yes' and rock's history, yielding the massive jam "Roundabout." The album sweeps in and out of styles... from hard rock to folk, from pop to classical, yet the sound of the album as a whole maintains an even tone, which makes it a cohesive product. Its tempting to call anything that stands as a unit a concept album, but really the only conceptualization occurring in in Dean's artwork... the front cover shows citizens of a peaceful world trying to escape in a wooden star-boat, and the rear cover shows that same world splintering into islands (which are later used as imagery in Yes tunes, but not here). All in all this is a fantastic head trip and a great introductory LP to classic rock, prog rock, and Yes.
.
There you go, back in the swing of things. I should be quite productive this week, as I took many pictures ahead of time and am ready to share some of my collection. Actually I want to show off, because I found some great vinyl lately. Have a safe Memorial Day!
.
Horns up!
.

No comments: